Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Public Service Announcement

Now, I was sitting in my office so I can only sort of imagine this scene and apply it to the words I heard, but this happened today:

Coworker #1: [comes into office, (presumably) takes a piece of candy]
Coworker #2: "Excuse me, should you be eating that? Aren't you on Weight Watchers?"

Like, what the fuck? Coworker #1 then starts defending herself and her "point" choice and all I could think is that this world is so fucked up and why can't anyone just eat a M-F piece of candy in peace. Just eat it in quiet, serene, judgement-free, fucking peace.

????

I wanted to cry for her.

I've dealt with a warped body image my whole life. Let's be real, who hasn't? But it's really hard to feel like an empowered woman when you're still constantly thinking about what you should look like. That's something I'm trying to work on, but I need your help.

I used to eat 60 calorie lunches because I wanted to weigh 10 pounds less and the only way to do that was to effectively starve myself. But why did I ever care about weighing 10 pounds less? Why?! Perhaps because every message I get from the world -- from TV and the internet and my coworkers -- is that I should weigh 10 lbs less. I should probably weigh 20 lbs less. I SHOULD BE INVISIBLE.

Stop the madness, everyone. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.