Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Best Albums of 2013

It's that time of year when I make a list of my favorite albums from the past 12 months and no one gives a shit about it but I do it anyway because it's important to me. Also because I'm a music snob and want to impress you with my varied taste and expertise regarding musical talent.

So here it is, my top 10 of 2013 (in sort of a particular order):

10. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (Part 1. Part 2 is marginal. Sorry.)
9. Lorde - Pure Heroine 
8. Laura Stevenson - Wheel
7. John Legend - Love In The Future
6. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
5. Drake - Nothing Was The Same
4. Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone
3. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
1. Lady Lamb and the Beekeeper - Ripely Pine

Runners up:
1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city. I was so torn about this.
2. Miley Cyrus - Bangerz. But only because I listened to "We Can't Stop" approximately 84 times in a row when it first came out and also because sometimes I have dreams about her...


P.S. If you're wondering why Yeezus isn't on here, let me tell you: I know that Kanye is "doing what no one else is doing" (by taking other people's music and making it his own), but his terrible fucking lyrics ruin every song. There, I said it.

5 comments:

  1. i guess i will take a break from Christmas music and listen to this mix...for a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't worry about the kendrick lamar album - it came out in 2012! i'm happy to see you giving laura stevenson some love. i obviously knew what your #1 would be (as would anyone who spoke to you about music at all this year, i'm guessing). i'm still baffled by why lady lamb and laura stevenson did not get more attention this year. two of the most fascinating, thoughtfully composed, and emotionally engaging albums i've heard in a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so behind the times - embarrassing!

      I have not felt so strongly about someone as I do about Lady Lamb since Fiona Apple. She's going to be in Chicago in the spring, PS. I literally cried at her show, so.

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.