Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Sick Side of Marriage

Have any of you taken note of Delsym's commercials? I have. They make me stop in my tracks (meaning I remain seated on my couch).



This woman is being a real bitch to her husband. There he is in his own home, very ill, and she's mad at him for coughing. Mad at him! Like how shitty is that? Sure, he should probably be in bed if he's that sick. He could also get up and get his own M-F cough syrup. But why get mad about it?

Usually, commercials try to portray the glamorous side of marriage. You know, where the woman is almost always washing the floor and the husband is grilling and drinking Coors or maybe pretending to fix something but he doesn't really know what he's doing and his wife is laughing at him because men, am I right ladies?


But Delsym is getting real with us. Delsym is saying that five years into your marriage you're going to get into a fight about cough syrup while watching American Idol because that's what you do for fun now.

BLEAK.

And this is the reason why guys don't take girls out to dinner anymore. This commercial. According to a recent NYT article about the death of courtship:

"A lot of men in their 20s are reluctant to take the girl to the French restaurant, or buy them jewelry, because those steps tend to lead to 'eventually, we're going to get married.'"

(And you thought girls were crazy.) If that is the case, though, I guess I have to congratulate all the men who have taken me out to dinner in the past. Apparently, one of you has to marry me now.


Hope you never get sick!

1 comment:

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.