Tuesday, September 25, 2012

That Time Steve Harvey Wanted Me on His Talk Show

I thought I had made it. I really had. I got an email from a producer at NBC who said she had read my blog. I immediately thought to myself: They want me to write for SNL! I should quit my job! I need to get an apartment in New York! This is all happening so fast!

He knows what women want.

In reality, the only thing that was happening so fast was my thought process. She was actually writing on behalf of the Steve Harvey Show, which is apparently a new piece of daytime television, and "doing extremely well!" Whatever that means. According to its website, it's been on air for approximately two weeks.

Anyway, she asked if I would like to be on the show for one of their new segments called, "United Dates of America."  I'd be set up on three dates and they'd be filmed and then Steve Harvey would critique them. I'm assuming she thought I might be a good fit for this segment considering much of my blog consists of dating and also not dating and also what it's like to have a cat.

The problem is, she left out something really important, something I discovered when I went to the website for more information. What Steve really wanted was to feature me as ONE OF THE WORST DATERS IN AMERICA.


Apparently Steve is a relationship guru, and he wants to HEAL me. Cheese and crepes! I mean I know I'm single and whatever, but like, worst dater in America? I don't think I would go that far.

So, after much deliberation, I decided that I didn't really want to be humiliated on national television, especially by someone, who I can only assume is a sexist asshole:

(Spoiler alert: gay men aren't real.)

Anyway, I imagine his advice on dating would be something along the lines of "keep your mouth shut and look pretty." We would have gotten along really well.

(Note: A few weeks ago I also thought I made it because someone at a Jewish online newspaper also found my blog and asked me to write for them. As it turns out, they thought I was Jewish. So that didn't work out...)

5 comments:

  1. i'm really surprised steve harvey hasn't run for republican office based on that little montage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DYING. While I would have loved to have seen this and would have kept it on my DVR forever, Worst Dater in America is a tad harsh. Also, do they really think a dude who's been married 3 times and hosts Family Feud has the authority to "fix" you romantically? Ho, please.

    He also said women shouldn't date atheists because they have no "moral barometer". Leave it to this guy to mix religion and weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG OMG OMG. To you being on TV and to Steve Harvey being a teeeeerrible person. I can't believe I loved him on "Family Feud"!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.