Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Roaring (Late) 20s

I am turning 27 in a few days and I'm happy to report that I'm feeling really optimistic about it. This is good news because for a while I wasn't feeling so optimistic. That is because once you enter your "late 20s" all you can really think of is how you're approaching your "30s," which, for a while, seemed like the end of life to me (#drama). I saw one's 30s as a time of marriage and babies and suburbs, all of which accumulate into my worst nightmare at this current time (but I'm totally happy for all of my friends). 

Now that I know I don't have to enter that stage any time soon (by choice and also because I'm celibate as fuck*), I feel a lot better. I've also realized that 30 is three full years away, which is actually a really long time, especially when I think about all I've done in the past three years:
  • started a blog
  • moved (twice)
  • dated  (the wrong) people
  • left the country for the first time
  • threw a birthday party for my cat
  • became a fem-nazi 
  • got my nose pierced
  • got a tattoo
  • apparently went through a teenage rebellion
  • ran a 5k
  • admitted that I fucking hate running
  • lost 20 lbs
  • gained 10 pounds
  • fell in love with dragons
  • got my Master's


Is it trite to say that I think I finally feel comfortable with who I am? Like, I think I found myself, you guys! And that's probably the main reason why IDGAF about turning 27. And why I'm just ... happy?  Yes, happy. (Not to be confused with content, which is simply boring.)




Briefly, let me tell you how I got here:
  1. I stopped doing things I don't like to do. This one's pretty key. My roommate recently pointed out that I haven't taken a praxi in a long time -- a praxi (problem taxi) is my version of an Irish exit. I used to take them a lot, probably weekly. I don't anymore and that is because I avoid people and places I don't want to be around.
  2. I started eating more than 60 calories for lunch. This is highly recommended. You know, on account of the health and stuff.
  3. I was asked (and/or forced) to give presentations. Once you get over the initial fear, public speaking is a great way to feel really confident and smart, especially when you're in front of an audience that hasn't the slightest clue what you're talking about.
  4. I became a feminist. So enlightening! You should try it. (Feminism is an equal-opportunity movement and does not discriminate on the basis of  race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, or any other protected status.)
  5. I am self-involved. This sounds negative, but it's not. You can be self-involved and not selfish. At least I hope so. Do you, is what I'm saying.
  6. And lastly, this:

Cats 4-L.

*See what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.