Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Jeopardy!

Does anyone else watch Jeopardy! regularly like I do? Last night, the final clue was something along the lines of  "Readers of this 1948 short story wrote the author to ask where the title event occurred so that they could go watch."  The answer was "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. You likely read it in high school or college or at some point in your life. But if you haven't, SPOILER ALERT, it's essentially about a public stoning.

Worth reading, if you haven't, though I totally just blew it for you.

WTF? People actually wrote in to ask where they could witness a public stoning? And literally no one on the show addressed how fucked up that was. Alex was all like, "Well obviously the answer is 'The Lottery' by Shirley Jackson, and obviously I knew that because I am pretentious and also have the answer in front of me." And the contestants were all like, "I'm going to win money, now!" But not one person said, Wait, what?! I was really disturbed.



Perhaps you're thinking, Girl, get a life. And I understand why you would think that, since watching Jeopardy! is a hobby taken up mainly by the 65+ crowd (as evidenced by all the incontinence  medication and AARP ads that play during the show).  But the truth is, I'm actually trying to cut back on life right now. I've been going out so much lately that I revel in sitting and not drinking or talking to anyone (unless you include shouting answers at the TV). So, Jeopardy! for the win.

1 comment:

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.