Saturday, December 3, 2011

Group Text

On Thanksgiving, I got a text from a number that I didn't recognize that said, "I love you! You're my best friend in the whole world!!!" I felt pretty bad since this person considered me their best friend in the whole world and I didn't even know who the hell they were. I decided not to respond back "Who is this?" because what if your best friend in the whole world didn't know who you were?!  That would make you feel sad. And, more importantly, that would make me feel like an asshole. 

This is mostly irrelevant.
I found out later that one of my roommates received the same text, and after we did some thinking, we realized that this message was a response to one of the many "Happy Thanksgiving" mass texts. So we weren't assholes. Nor were we anyone's best friend in the whole world :(.  And this is precisely why everyone needs to turn off group messaging on their phones.  I don't want all of your friends' numbers nor do I want them to have mine (unless they're male and single, in which case tell them to call me right away!!!).


My rage about group text really came to the forefront this weekend when some of my friends started a group text thread. In a matter of 10 minutes I got over 100 texts, many of which were just emoticons. I don't know why this bothered me so much but it did and it almost destroyed friendships (Glad we got through that, guys). 


But seriously, iPhone users, do this now:


Settings > Messages > Group Messaging > OFF


Thanks.


Hearts & Stars

P.S. The contest for the coveted AUTOGRAPHED GLOSSY PHOTO of me and Boo is still going on, so keep on sharing my blog for more chances to win!

3 comments:

  1. hahahhha. what's wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see you, I will change your phone settings.

    Grouptexts4lyfe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who has the highest score?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.