Friday, March 15, 2013

More About Being 20-Something

Man, I'm starting to sound like Thought Catalog. I'm truly sorry about that.

So, I'm currently reading this great novella called Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit.  It's a coming-of-age tale, which is timely because I think I'm coming of age right now. In fact, I think I'm going through more self-exploration these days than I did when I hit puberty. That was not a masturbation joke. Except that I just made it one.

Okay, anyway.

A number of you connected with my last post, which is to say, I'm quite obviously not alone in my unfledged feelings.  That's reassuring, of course. But let me also just say that I don't think either side of the spectrum (the settled vs. the floundering) is good nor bad. This is just a weird stage of life. Up til now, we--that is my general demographic--have been basically moving at the same pace. We got our licenses at 16. We graduated high school and went to college. We moved into our first apartments together. Got big girl and big boy jobs. And we swallowed all that down with beer and wine. Together. But then, suddenly, everything became expedited. Or so it seems. Of course, that is not wholly true.  But life feels different now. 

For instance:
  • People now value you based on your relationship status: "Are you dating anyone?" "No." "Oh. Well, that's okay." (Yes, I know. This is not 1954. I will survive.)
  • It's harder to find someone to get drunk with on Tuesday because they're eating a crock-pot meal with their fiance.
  • You spend a lot of time thinking about moving to other cities.
  • You almost never sleep (because you are addicted to the internet), and
  • You are incredibly self-involved (which has probably been true since birth).

Luckily for me, people find this life--which revolves around cats and cheese and beer and dragons--interesting enough to read about.



This is how I start conversations at parties.

 So thank you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.