Monday, March 11, 2013

Twenty-Something

I had brunch with some of my girlfriends this weekend, during which everyone gave the latest updates on their lives. These updates included boyfriends moving in and houses being purchased and weddings on the horizon. When it came my turn to share, I said, "I killed a spider all by myself today." And my friends were genuinely happy for me.

Later in the conversation, one of my friends told us someone she knew just found out she was pregnant. This elicited a collective "yay" from everyone else around the table and a simultaneous "oh no" from me. Yes, that is my automatic, innate reaction to the idea of pregnancy. I should seriously be on birth control for the rest of my life.

CATS.

It seems like everyone around me is growing up at lightening speed and I feel very... unfledged. I'm not even sure what I want right now (besides my master's, and equality, and one of those deep dish pizzas from Domino's), but I feel very pressured to have certain things. Things like relationships and houses, or at least an apartment that has a washing machine. But the most expensive thing I own is a vacuum, and I can't even fathom having to share my room. Or my time. Or that pizza. So, it seems I'm not quite where a lot of other people my age are, but I'd like to think that that's okay. So that's okay.

8 comments:

  1. That is perfectly so OK! And, your OK-ness with it is refreshing! Take your sweet time, enjoy life IN THE MOMENT, like you do very well! And never stop writing/sharing and making me laugh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of those people will be full of regret in five years with 75% of them slow roasted in regret in less than 2 years.

    You can be that perfect middle class person who looks smiling and happy on the outside or you can be smart, hot and talented. I know which one I consider you to be . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love my boyfriend, but sometimes I relish spending the night at my apartment just to be able to sleep alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel partially responsible for this. ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all your fault, Andy!!!!!!!!!

    Just kidding.

    I'm not upset about it. This is just a weird time of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reason number 1 million why you should move to NYC. No one really cares about starting house/baby stuff until they're at least 30. Well, obviously some people do, but everyone makes fun of them and calls them really nice things like "desperate" and "settling," sometimes to their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. reason number one million you should move to chicago: you won't have to settle for domino's deep dish, which has no business even existing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reason number 1 million why I should move.

    But I wholeheartedly disagree with you about Domino's, Dugan.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.