Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Summer Reading

Now that I'm about done with school, and I'm going on a cruise on Friday, and summer is around the corner, I'm working on my to-read list. 

First up is Their Eyes Were Watching God, which I actually started reading for pleasure mid-semester but couldn't get through because a) I didn't have time to read for pleasure, duh, and b) call me racist, but I struggle with Ebonics.

After that, I'm going to read Tina Fey's Bossypants and Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) because they are both my idols and I hope their books will teach me how to become them.




Then what? You tell me.

And, in case you're looking for something to read, here are my recommendations:

1. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
How many times can I say it? This is quite possibly my favorite book of all time. I don't know that I can actually make that kind of declaration, but it really is a fantastic book. For those of you who like dystopain literature, like The Hunger Games, except actually well-written, then this is for you. Also if you're a feminist equalist.  Also if you live near Harvard Square because it's set there. Did I just ruin that for you? Whatever, just read it, ok?

2. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingslover
For people who love Africa and the Bible. And you should love the Bible, by the way. Not because of like, Christianity or whatever, but because it is so sexy and magical. Which, if you know anything about me...

Sexual magic.

Don't bother with The New Testament, though -- total snooozefest.  

3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll 
I don't think any other story has resonated with me quite like this one. I even have an Alice-inspired tattoo. Alice 4-L. Anyway, I'm guessing most people already know the story because of the Disney movie, or Tim Burton's, which was atrocious and RUINED MY CHILDHOOD, but it's worth reading. It's not long and it's written for kids, so you have no excuse. [Editor's note: If anyone dares to leave a comment about drugs or pedophilia, know that I will absolutely send you a howler. You've been warned.]

4. The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant
This is about women getting their periods and having babies - FUCKING NASTY. But for some reason, I actually loved it.

5. Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, by Jeannette Winterson
I read this novella about a month ago and loved it. It's a coming-of-age tale (which I obviously love, probably because I'm 26 and still don't feel "of-age"). It's also a bit feminist, and a bit biblical. See a theme here?

And for something different:

6. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, by MT Anderson
I'm including this on the list since young adult fiction is SO HOT RIGHT NOW (except that this was written in 2006). This is for people who like history, or Boston, or "freedom," or Africa again. And, if you're interested, I have a lesson plan to go along with the book, which I created that one time I thought I was going to be an English teacher.

7. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris
This will make you laugh out loud, as in LOL. It's my favorite of all his books, though I haven't yet read his latest, Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. It's on my list, however.

My final recommendation is to not waste your time reading The Great Gatsby AGAIN so that you can see the movie. You've already read it. Read something else. You'll still be able to understand the movie, I promise. Hint:  


But if you haven't already read it, then you totally should. You should also make sure your high school diploma is actually valid.

3 comments:

  1. Mindy's book rocks. Loved it.

    I recommend anything by Chelsea Handler and for a good beach read, I thoroughly enjoyed Drinking & Tweeting by Brandi Glanville. Girl is a hot mess.

    For all seriousness, The Art of Racing in the Rain is so so so so good. I also got the follow up book to The Time Traveler's Wife (which, no, dumb fuck who's about go ZOMG THE MOVIE...I didn't see the movie on principle because I'm pretty sure it would ruin everything ever because the book is amazing and nothing can touch it or encompass it's literary greatness) which is Her Fearful Symmetry, loved it. Audrey Niffenegger is the author, who's name to this day still makes me uncomfortable #racist?

    Side note: the CAPTCHA for this comment is FROTHING EDIEDERS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maurice by e. m. forster. it will help you better understand my people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Mindy's book and Tina's book. Tina's is much better. Mindy's is kind of sad. I get the feeling she was like, "I get to write a book because I'm semi-famous, yay! Oh, shit, wait, I have nothing to write about. Here are some lists."

    I do love lists, though.

    Have I mentioned "The Dog Stars"? Oh, my goooooood, beautiful.

    HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU WERE LEAVING?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments unless you're an international spammer. Sorry.